Frequently Asked Contempt of Court Questions

As Denver family law attorneys, divorce and custody are the primary types of cases handled by Plog & Stein, P.C. With each case, orders are ultimately entered regarding each aspect of the case. It is not uncommon for people to violate court orders, potentially leading to contempt of court actions. Below are some of the frequently asked contempt of court questions asked of our attorneys. From time to time, our experienced lawyers will update these with new questions for your information.


(See Colorado Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 107)

My ex isn’t pay child support, is she in contempt?

Child Support is probably the most common area in which contempt of court cases arise. This is partly because with each month there is a payment due. Thus, with each month, there is an opportunity for the party paying to not follow orders. In terms of contempt of court, to establish contempt one must show that there is a valid court order being violated by a party who has knowledge of the order and the ability to comply with it. Therefore, if the child support payor has a job or income, or funds to drawn from for purposes of paying the child support, then she is likely going to be found in contempt of court. However, if she got laid off from her job and has been unemployed for a while, though the court might find that orders have not been followed, the court would not likely find that she had the ability to pay. A violation of orders alone does not lead a court to a finding of contempt. The facts and circumstances behind the violation also matter.

Can I get my attorney fees with a contempt of court case?

C.R.C.P. Rule 107, the rule regarding contempt of court, authorizes attorney fees with the finding of remedial contempt, but not punitive. Remedial contempt orders generally center around the court finding a person in contempt of court and entering orders to remedy the situation. In these instances, fees can be awarded. With punitive contempt, the person bringing the action is seeking for the court to find the other person in contempt and to either fine him, or send him to jail. With punitive contempt, the court cannot award attorney fees. However, statute allows a party to seek both remedial and punitive contempt of court within the same motion. The Denver divorce lawyers at Plog & Stein, P.C., will generally approach a request to file contempt of court with the goal of seeking both remedial and punitive sanctions. That way our clients can hopefully recover some, or all, of their attorney fees upon a finding of contempt by the court.

Can I go to jail if I’m found in contempt?

With a contempt of court action, the number one concern for any of our clients facing contempt is the possibility of jail. Jail can be ordered in both a remedial or punitive contempt situation. In a punitive situation, the court can order up to 180 days in jail upon a finding of contempt. The amount of time is up to the judge and there are judges out there who will not hesitate to impose a jail sentence. In a remedial situation, the court can also order jail time in a remedial fashion. For example, the court could say, “I hereby sentence you to jail until you such time as you remedy this contempt of court by paying your back alimony.” With jail as a possible outcome for any contempt case, the experienced attorneys at Plog & Stein will strive to find all options available to protect our clients from going there. Settlement of the contempt issue is always the first choice, though the other side may not be willing to settle. The next option is thoroughly preparing for hearing on the issues, with the hope of showing the court that the other side has not met its burden of proof. Unfortunately, sometimes, a party may truly be in contempt, with little options for hearing or settlement. In those instances, our attorneys still strive to lessen the fine, penalty, or jail time. Again, each judge and each court will be different in terms of outcomes and sentences. Keep in mind that jail can also be ordered in custody cases in Denver , or Colorado as a whole, regarding violations of visitation or other orders. Work release is also sometimes an option.

How do you file for contempt of court?

The first step our divorce and custody attorneys undertake when filing for contempt of court is the drafting of a motion/affidavit setting forth the facts and circumstances of the contempt. This must be signed and notarized by the party filing the contempt. This motion/affidavit, along with a blank citation and order will then be filed with the court. Upon review of the motion by the court, and assuming the court finds a prima facie case of contempt of court, the court will return a signed citation and order to the filer. The motion, citation, and order must then be served on the person in contempt, at least 20 days before the first hearing, called the advisement. At the advisement hearing, the person against whom the contempt is brought can plead guillty or not guilty. If the plea is guilty, there will likely be a subsequent sentencing hearing. If the person pleads not guilty, then a contested evidentiary hearing will be set, for the judge to determine whether a contempt has occurred. The court can enter a sentence at this hearing, or can set a later date for sentencing. The process may take 2 to 4 months, or more, before the issue of contempt is resolved.

Contact Plog & Stein today to speak with one our experienced Denver area divorce and custody attorneys regarding your Denver area contempt of court case.