Call Today
(303) 781-0322
Contact Us Today

Denver Divorce Attorney Blog — Page 10 of 26 — Published by Denver, Divorce Lawyer — Plog & Stein, P.C

By:  Jessica A. Bryant

One area of dispute that can arise following a divorce or custody action is the question of obtaining a passport for the child. To get a passport for a child under 16, the State Department generally requires signatures from both of the parents or legal guardians. This requirement is the same even if the application is just for a renewal passport. There are a few exceptions to this requirement, though, which are as follows:

1.      The State Department will allow a passport application to be signed by only one parent if any of the following documentation can be provided:

a.    A written, signed and notarized statement from the non-applying parent, or an affidavit from  such parent, agreeing that the passport may be issued;

b.   Documentation showing the requesting parent is the sole parent or has sole custody- acceptable documentation includes the following:

Continue reading