Call Today (303) 781-0322
Contact Us Today

Centennial Child Support Attorneys

Centennial Child SupportCentennial, Colorado is a family-friendly city with young children in a majority of the households. When parents in Centennial make the difficult decision to separate and young children are involved, child support becomes a crucial issue. You’ll want to know how Colorado statute dictates child support calculations, what aspects of your daily life will affect the calculation, and, most importantly, how it will change your family’s finances in the short and long run. If you are seeking a qualified and effective Centennial child support attorney, contact Plog & Stein, P.C. for a consultation with one of our seasoned child support professionals. Our full service law firm is experienced in all matters of family law, including divorce, child custody and support, alimony, property & debt division, and more.

How is Child Support Calculated in Centennial?

A balance of factors and issues go into the statute-mandated formula for calculating child support in Colorado. Pursuant to C.R.S. 14-10-115, parents are responsible for providing financial support for their children. The courts recognize this and they also understand that the costs of raising a child can be varied and complex. For example, even if you and your ex-partner share equal, 50/50 parenting time, one party will still likely owe child support to the other due to a disparity of income and other elements included in the support formula. Things like what each person pays in child care costs or health insurance benefits are also part of the equation. As such, figuring out the monthly amount of child support is not as straightforward as it may seem.

Oftentimes, litigation can arise regarding what either party’s income actually is. One parent may receive bonuses or commissions, which should be factored in. On the other hand, one parent may be voluntarily unemployed or underemployed. The expectation of family law courts is that each parent will be employed to the best of his or her ability and courts can attribute or “impute” income to a party based on what they could be earning. An experienced Centennial child support lawyer will be able to work with you to determine appropriate formula figures and to negotiate or litigate your case. These are only a few examples of how child support litigation can get messy.

Enforcing and Modifying a Child Support Order

Circumstances often change as your children get older and dynamics shift, so determining your monthly support amount often changes as well. Dealing with this may be an on-going issue until your last child reaches 19 years of age.  In some cases, a modification of child support is warranted pursuant to C.R.S. 14-10-122.  Modifications are appropriate when the monthly child support amount would change by 10% or more and can be applied retroactively to the date a Motion to Modify Child Support is filed.

In addition to modifying support, issues often arise related to enforcing orders due to one parent not paying child support as ordered. In those instances, there are an array or remedies our attorneys can employ to help you collect. In some cases, a county child support enforcement unit may also be involved and may pursue its own courses of action tied into enforcement or modification of orders. Regardless of which side of the issue you’re on, we can help. Child support issues can be complex and fraught with technicalities. This is why it is so important that you find a child support attorney in Centennial that you trust who can be your long term partner for family law related matters as they arise.

Protecting the Rights of Our Centennial Clients

Talking with the right Centennial child support attorney can make the difference between arriving at the right financial balance for your family and finding yourself treated unfairly or having your rights overlooked. When it comes to initial determinations, child support modifications, collection of past due payments, and enforcement of orders, the lawyers at Plog & Stein, P.C. are prepared to represent you and utilize our over 70 years of combined experience to further your case. Call us at 303-781-0322 or contact us online to set up an appointment.